Sunday, April 24, 2011

Semester Wrap Up!

Well the semester is coming to a close and graduation is just weeks away! I must say this semester has been quite the whirlwind, but Border Beat has been a pretty amazing experience!

In the last 16 weeks I have explored Barrio Veijo and Barrio Anita. I have found some of Tucson's oldest landmarks, and most interesting activities, as well as met some awesome people.

If had to chose my favorite part, I would say it was definitely the special projects. The first one I did on Barrio Viejo and it helped me take a much deeper look into the Barrio then I could have done for a story. The second one, on the St. Andrew's Clinic, was truly an experience unlike any other.

I have also really enjoyed writing this blog. Now, don't get me wrong, I have blogged before, but this one was different. Covering the barrios was really unique because they are such visual parts of Tucson. I really enjoyed being able to take photos and create videos so that you could see some of the amazing places I have gone. Other blogs I have done are not quite so visual, and the visual element is what makes it fun.

I feel that participating in the Border Beat capstone has definitely improved my writing skills. It also taught me to think outside the box for story ideas. During this semester alone, I have written about the experience of crossing the Iraq border, a Mexican documentary that was pulled from theaters, a school event at the Presidio San Agustin Del Tucson, teleconferencing across the border, homemade tortillas and more.

Being a part of this class has been a great opportunity, and as I head off into the "real world," I am excited to use what I've learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment